Recommended reading for Year 5 - please click this link for detailed list
Year 5 have moved into the new classrooms adjacent to the hall for the 2017-2018 academic year. Mrs Jevon, along with Mrs Heather, are extremely experienced in Year 5 and both are very much looking forward to welcoming new teacher Miss Gilman into the cohort.
This term begins with ’Our Most Amazing Adventure!’ as we are off to Laches Wood. The children will be able to experience new activities, achieve things they never thought possible and return to school with a positive ’I can’ mentality that supports them so well through Year 5 and beyond.
Our topic for this term is Allotment, and we will been working closely with the local supermarkets to find out where our food comes from. We hope to, once again, involve the local Allotment Society as we discover how we grow our own products. We will use this idea of growth and development to chart our own progress and changes throughout the children’s time in Year 5.
After that we move onto ‘Stargazers’, where we will learn about the moon, earth and the sun. We look at the lunar surface, and the relationships between the planets in our Solar system. We also find out about the ‘most successful failure’ in NASA history.
In Year 5 we do expect children to take more responsibility for their learning. Our expectations are:-
- that children come prepared for lessons
- that children actively take responsibility for checking that they have put all they need in their bags
- that children will learn their spellings each week along with TIMES TABLES—a MUST for year 5.
- that children will read a wide range of books for enjoyment at home and will be able to discuss storylines and characters at home
- Children will complete weekly homework to prepare them for new learning or reinforce prior learning – this may be English, maths, topic or science related.